Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sunday Supplemental Sessions

One of the advantages of doing the conference newsletter is that I get to sit on on the Sunday supplemental sessions, half-day seminars the dig deep into topics. One of the disadvantages of doing the conference newsletter is that I get to go to the Sunday supplemental sessions, but only little samples of each.

Still, it's a little bit of extra learning. I got to listen to a bit of Rob Houser talk a bit about how to write user assistance to improve user performance. He touched on a concept that got me excited last year: using conceptual information.

Than it was off to see Saul Carliner, who was giving tips about e-learning. I caught some ideas about what motivates performance and what does and doesn't matter in measuring performance.

Finally, I took in a bit of Tony Self, who was expounding on one of this year hot topics: DITA. This is an all-afternoon "introduction," and I came in while he was explaining the "rules" of XML, the foundation upon which DITA is built.

No comments: