Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Later than last night, not as late as Sunday night

Well, got the last run of this year's newsletter started about 9:30, which means it'll be about midnight when I finish. I'm guessing that I might have to replace up to 3 toner cartridges before the run is done.

In a way, it's my own fault. For the first time ever, I caught a piece of what is affectionately known as the Australasian Cultural Evening. I've never gone before because (a) I've had the newsletter to put out, and (b) I don't drink.

But this year, I found myself suddenly with a nearly full newsletter as the last afternoon session finished. I'd dropped in my session notes, gotten pretty much caught up on tomorrow's events, got in notices of things that folks would have to know about, and just had space for a little more main-article writing and another photo.

At the start, the first stop on the pub crawl--oops, ACE--was to be a nearby place with good pub grub. Because Sue, my editor, was going out with them for the first hour, so I thought I'd go along and grab a bite myself.

But the ACE plans changed, and the first stop became a place not a few blocks away, and so I changed my plans to take in either the highly praised burger at the hotel bar or check out the chicken salad sandwich at Oliver's next door.

But when I came down to the lobby at about 7 to head into the bar, I found Dave Gash there, who was waiting for the ACE group. Thing was, they had already left. Dave confirmed where, and I decided go go along anyway.

The walk was farther than I feared, but it turned out to be an enjoyable time. I got a big juicy burger, downed 3 glasses of lemonade, and headed out the door back to the hotel.

Only to take a wrong turn out the pub door. I eventually made it back, but took a definitely roundabout route. I literally was puttng the final words in the last article when Sue knocked on the door.

Fortunately, the content was in good condition, the editing didn't take too long, and the printing got underway. Now,it's just a waiting game, and when the game's over, I can hit the sack, to get as ready as I can for one, last day.

No comments: