Sunday, March 16, 2008

MadCap, MadCap, and more MadCap

Almost reminiscent of before Blue Sky Software transformed itself to eHelp, got bought by Macromedia, then became part of the Adobe empire, MadCap Software has utterly descended on the conference. Currently, I'm in a MadCap event--sitting next to Char!--awaiting all sorts of new product information and announcements.

Dog and pony show, to be sure, but MadCap is in many ways The Little Engine That Could. This little company, born of the RoboHelp team released from Macromedia, is really becomeing a force in the help development community, seemingly in many of the ways Blue Sky Software once did.

It's ncie to see success stories, fo course, but there are two things to be wary of. On their part, they have to be careful of not p!ssing people off, something that's pretty much impossible as you grow, as you interact with more people, as you gain power and market share. It comes with the territiry. For me, I have to be careful not to show favoritism. Smaller vendors also deserve the attention. I have, in some sense, the power of the press, and I do need to be careful not to abuse that power. Good people, at companies large and small, work passionately on their products and believe in them fervently. I must not let them be ignored. I must not lose their message in the din of the big boys.

No comments: